Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||New York, NY
|| Accounting/Auditing, Banking, Finance/Economics, Financial Services, Human Resources, Information Technology, Quality Control, Research & Development
Regional Head of ALCM|
The purpose of this role is to manage the oversight and control of overall balance sheet usage, including asset & liability and capital management (“ALCM”) for a Region and ensure the delivery of a professional, effective and responsive ALCM function at optimal cost. The role has formal people management responsibility. The role leads various activities to achieve the goals and objectives of the Regional CFO, following the strategy set by the Regional CFO/Group Treasurer. The role is part of the Group Treasury ExCo.
Impact on the Business
- Designs and drives the strategic direction of the Region's ALCM function, also contributing to the delivery of the global ALCM vision; Makes decisions with the oversight from Regional CFO that may have long-term impact on the global finance function
- Maintains active dialogue with both local regulators and industry bodies to ensure HSBC is well positioned in both the Regional and global ALCM debate, including outstanding elements of proposed regulatory changes
- Ensures compliance with all local and global capital and liquidity reporting requirements; stays active in industry forums to influence requirements; stay abreast of all regulatory requirement developments
- Responsible for ensuring a consistent application of ALCM Risk Appetite measures and metrics across the region, in line with the Group’s Risk Appetite and Risk Tolerance
- Actively participates in the local and global stress testing activities; operates as a member of the Design Authority and Steerco of the US CCAR / DFAST activities and manages all capital and liquidity implications of both US CCAR / DFAST activites and global PRA activities
- Ensures effective allocation of the Regions scarce liquidity and capital resources in line with the Region’s agreed strategy and associated ALCO recommendations; builds on existing capital allocation approach by incorporating the results of the local stress testing activities
- Proactively evaluates and manages (through the determination and execution of tangible actions) the B/S and NIM for North America and the Bank in the USA
- Actively drives and supports the global ALCM Change Delivery agenda and sponsor initiatives in the US
- Advise on and support the execution of acquisitions, disposals and restructuring
Customers / Stakeholders
- Supports the CEO / CFO in their capacity as decision makers for the Region and ensures that appropriate governance is applied to ALCO related matters.
- Continue to build on / maintain strong communication with local regulatory bodies
- Manage external relationship and communication with Credit Rating Agencies
- Maintain an effective relationship with the Region's Balance Sheet Management team
- Continue to develop the Region's relationship with and use of capabilities in the ALCM Finance Operations team, driving consistency and best practice across the sub-function
Leadership & Teamwork
- Secures resources for ALCM for a Region, including budgets and employees
- Manage a diverse team with responsibility for liquidity, interest rate risk in the banking book and capital management across the region.
- Support pro-active staff management policies and practices across the region, including the ‘short-term assignment’ programme.
- Active participation to the ALCM ExCo
- Lead and develop an effective team through communication, performance management, development plans and reward/recognition practices.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Primary responsibility for ensuring all Regional sites conform with established ALCM policies and FIM
- Monitors compliance with agreed ALCM policies and ensures the Regional ALCOs fully cover the range of balance sheet issues appropriate to the Region and/or country
- Maintain HSBC internal control standards, implement and observe Group Compliance Policy and maintain awareness of operational risk and minimize the likelihood of it occurring
- Maintain he Group compliance policies locally by ensuring adequate compliance resources and training, fostering a compliance culture and optimizing relations with regulators.
- Ensure that the three lines of defence model is appropriately implemented in the region, and that roles are fulfilled as required.
- Support the delivery of the sub-functions commitment to other regulatory and internal deliverables, such as data management requirements
- Complete other responsibilities, as assigned.
- To keep a current understanding of the Group’s/US’s strategic imperatives and underlying business needs and ensure the capital and funding plans are developed to meet these.
- To understand and implement evolving and complex regulatory requirements with respect to capital and liquidity (Basel 3). To actively monitor and influence regulatory changes to the capital and liquidity regimes for banks through liaison with regional banking regulators as well as industry bodies.
- The jobholder must be able to think and act independently, often within tight timeframes, formulating sound advice or actions which have a clear direction and are commercially and operationally acceptable.
- The jobholder must have strong financial analysis skills, ability to work to tight deadlines and maintain a high level of accuracy and ability to communicate complex ideas both written and verbally at all levels.
- The role is responsible for leading the US Asset, Liability and Capital Management (“ALCM”) team. The role requires a high degree of autonomy, technical knowledge and experience necessary to manage US’s relationships with rating agencies, regulators, and other stakeholders. It requires a large amount of independence and has the authority to develop and implement ALCM strategy across the region. The role provides influence to the Group ALCM function and is responsible for ensuring Group policy and framework is ‘fit for purpose’ and is appropriately implemented in the region. Guidance is provided to sites across the region, to the ALCM teams, in addition to the regional and local global businesses.
Management of Risk
- Ensure employees apply compliance, operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC or regulatory standards and policies; and optimize relations with regulators by addressing any issues., The physical demands/work environment described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties.
- Physical Demands/Work Environment: Very good working conditions. Little or no physical demands. Minimal handling of light materials. The physical demands/work environment described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties.
- Demonstrate leadership on Regulatory & Compliance matters. Maintain awareness of operational risk and minimise the likelihood of it occurring including its identification, assessment, mitigation and control, loss identification and reporting in accordance with section B.1.2 of the Group Operations FIM.
Observation of Internal Controls
- Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- Foster a compliance culture and implement Group Compliance Policy by managing compliance risk in liaison with the Head of Group Compliance, Regional Compliance Officer, Area Compliance Officer or Local Compliance Officer, ensuring adequate compliance resources are in place and training is provided, and optimising relations with regulators
HSBC is blazing the trail for African-American colleagues, check it out:
As you complete your online application, please use source code: Historically Black Colleges
and Universities. If you would like to notify HSBC's Diversity Recruiting team of your application, please e-mail
Qualifications & Requirements
Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications
- A University graduate in (BA) or (BS).
- An experience of over 10 years in the related field.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas both written and verbally at all levels.
- A good knowledge of the HSBC Group and its operating policies is essential.
- A good knowledge of regulatory measurement and reporting requirements as well as stress testing activities