||New York, NY
|| Accounting/Auditing, Banking, Computers, Software, Finance/Economics, Financial Services, Information Technology, Installation, Maintenance, and Repair, Sales, Executive Management
Associate, Client Management|
Onboarding and Client Management Services are accountable for the management and coordination of onboarding, existing client management, renewals and reviews and coordination of client exits. The service has a global reach across countries in which Global Banking and Markets (GB&M) does business.
The main focus of the role is:
- Give visibility of the onboarding process within a location to key stakeholders, including information about alignment with HSBC’s policies and controls e.g. AML
- Build alignment of the onboarding process to local and/or global standards as required in the specific location
- Provide the single point of contact for onboarding / renewal and off-boarding activity in a location (at Location, Sector or Sub-sector level depending on the scale of the location)
- Coordination of onboarding/renewal and off-boarding activity on behalf of the GBM Relationship Managers aligned to clients requirements.
The Client Associate will be the key point of contact for the Relationship Manager and for the Client from an onboarding, Maintenance and Off-boarding perspective. They will be aware of all activity in progress on behalf of a client, globally and be able to update GBM stakeholders as required.
This Role is specific Corporates space covering large Corporations. Fast moving time sensitive space – needs strong multi-tasker who has excellent organization skills and can effectively coordinate multiple high volume fund onboardings, supporting in a demanding space.
Client Associate will work closely with GBM RM’s and Products Sales to pro-actively drive onboarding for the client to ensure all requests are captured, prioritized and resolved within agreed timeframes. Taking ownership of onboarding problems and resolving onboarding issues. Ensuring transparency and regular communication and updates to key stakeholders. The Client Associate will direct the case management of onboarding requests either processed locally or by off-shore (or near shore) case managers. They will be accountable for working closely with all functional teams (primarily Credit, Docs and Account Maintenance) to ensure priorities are aligned and that business requirements can be met across the end to end process.
Very strong emphasis on ability to build effective relationships with both internal and external clients / stakeholders to expedite resolution of onboarding issues and maintain fluidity of onboarding pipe to directly maximize revenue generation opportunities while ensuring full alignment with HSBC policy and controls.
Management of onboarding, renewal and off-boarding requests
- Work closely with GBM to capture requirements for new requests and to raise new requests as required. Client Associates should be working with RM’s prior to new request being raised so that they are fully aware of the requirements
- Responsible for ensuring all required information is available to ensure the smooth completion of the request end to end, including information required by all downstream functions
- Responsible for ensuring all requests are prioritized, resolved within agreed timeframes, work-flow pipeline optimized, priorities identified early and issues escalated accordingly.
- Be the onboarding SME; developing a detailed understanding of the clients, Onboarding functions, system, process and procedures in order to advise the Business, Clients and near shore Case Managers.
- Own and orchestrate, to completion, cross-border request, in multiple jurisdictions if needed for clients that they own and by working closely with other client managers across the globe
- Own and manage off-boarding of clients managed in their locality
- Support the RM and Client through the conversion to the new Global AML standard including having a clear understanding of the additional due diligence requirements and how they will impact the client and support clients and functional SME’s in the gathering of this information
- Be the onshore escalation point for all onboarding issues, working closely with all impacted and interested parties and driving the near shore case managers and functional SMEs to ensure bottlenecks are resolved in an efficient and timely manner.
- Highlight problems/blockages and take initiative to suggest ideas to change and improve processes.
- Strong emphasis on the maintenance of an effective and rigid control environment ensuring quality and adherence is never compromised.
- Requirement to provide accurate / regular status updates to the business in terms of on-boarding requests and other related issues / events.
- Adhering to all service level agreements and metric requirements at all times
Alignment to and Delivery of the onboarding standard
- Assist in the communication and embedding of the standard onboarding processes based on knowledge of the location, client and product requirements
- Accountable for ensuring all required steps in the onboarding process have been undertaken and that all relevant controls have been adhered to
- Provide management information that demonstrates that status of the onboarding processes as measured against the defined standards, clearly articulating gaps and issues
- Support business and onboarding delivery teams to build alignment to the standards and to introduce the required controls and measures
Customers / Stakeholders
- Ownership of the relationship with the client as it pertains to onboarding, renewal and off-boarding activity
- Deep knowledge of the book of clients being managed, including maintenance of corporate knowledge about the client so that subsequent work is able to access previous data easily and consistently
- Build global relationships with other client managers so that a global client view can be cultivated
- Accountable for providing a very visible point of contact for the Relationship Managers and client in terms of on-boarding queries or escalations
- Implement the client engagement framework in order to effectively manage specific strategic clients and ensure client traction on outstanding issues across all products lines.
- Work as part of the GBM coverage team in order to ensure current priorities are clearly understood based on developing a strategic understanding of the client requirements with the coverage teams
- Accountable for ensuring the right level of MI and reporting is delivered to meet the requirements of client, business and internal stakeholders
Leadership & Teamwork
- Provide support and guidance to respective near shore and offshore client analysts and functional teams.
- Lead by example by ensuring on-boarding portfolio is case managed appropriately.
- Provide support and guidance to respective peer group in order to meet Banking Middle Office objectives.
- Support the Banking Middle Office Heads by ensuring activities and daily tasks are conducted in a way that ensure alignment to the longer term strategy
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Accountable for ensuring the correct information is available to facilitate the whole onboarding process and that the information is collected and stored appropriately.
- Ensure the most effective process is being used to support the requirements of the business and to meet the required controls, identify issues and gaps and put in place activity to resolve these
- Ensure the onboarding standards are met based on the client, product and location of the request. Identify gaps and work with key stakeholders to resolve issues
- Adhere strictly to compliance and operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC and regulatory standards, policies and practices; report control weaknesses, compliance breaches and operational loss events.
- The role will need to be flexible as it may need to work with locations that are ‘start-ups’ for Banking Middle Office. In working with new locations, the role holder may need to cover additional activity in the set-up phases in order to embed the capability and to achieve buy-in from local teams
- The role plays a key part in joining together the priorities and requirements of the business with the availability of service providers (e.g.KYC, Credit, AM etc.). The role holder will have to build deep knowledge about the client and work closely with the business and functional delivery teams to ensure priorities are aligned with resource availability and ensure issues are resolved in a timely manner
- There is an expectation that the role will be deeply embedded within the GBM business / coverage teams, whilst still maintaining strong relationships with the functional delivery teams. However the relationship with the functional delivery teams will need to become more formalized through the definition and usage of clear service levels
- Working in a dynamic, pressurized, time-sensitive environment with interaction with internal stakeholders and demanding / advanced external clients.
Management of Risk
- Increased focus and oversight must be placed on any manual processes and exceptions to policy.
- Client Sector and Product knowledge expertise – across the Onboarding functions – must be displayed and utilized to ensure the on-boarding process is complete, accurate and timely.
- Client Associate must take ownership of the entire on-boarding process and instructions delivered to downstream Onboarding functions must be decisive. Extra care must be taken with complex clients and products to ensure no gaps are created in the validation and verification of data in the on-boarding process.
Observation of Internal Controls
- Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
HSBC is blazing the trail for African-American colleagues, check it out:
As you complete your online application, please use source code: Historically Black Colleges
and Universities. If you would like to notify HSBC's Diversity Recruiting team of your application, please e-mail
Qualifications & Requirements
- Ownership for the client outcome – task focused but able to hold onto the required outcomes through the management of the individual tasks
- Results focused individuals – driving the customer outcomes based on knowledge of the client outcomes and with expertise of the onboarding process
- Language Skills – Must be able to communicate well (verbally and written) with clients
- Exceptionally effective communicators able to build strong relationships with RM, RM Associates and the Client and provide transparency of end to end activity
- Gravitas and experience to drive the required outcomes in any given situation, engaging with Sales, RM, Client and internally to achieve completion and monetise the onboarding pipeline
- Fully engaged with the RM team for their sector / Sub-sector – co-location is key to enable quick and easy conversations when new requirements come in with the most appropriate people
- Strong organisation skills, able to manage a large number of activities at any one time; able to internalise activity in order to manage the complexity
- Strong business knowledge and a working knowledge of onboarding and the products that are utilised but with the ability to gather SME’s when required to fill the skill gaps; Strong knowledge of the regulatory requirements
- Commercially aware – understands the drivers behind the on-boarding requirement and the value to the bank of what is being requested and uses this knowledge to proactively manage the prioritisation, enabling function to align and deliver their activities
- Excellent client service skills (must have minimum of 2 years service in a client facing role)
- Solid and proven relevant work experience (supporting Relationship Managers, Sales or working in an operational middle office or client facing support function and focus on fund managers, hedge funds and complex products), within the banking / financial services industry.