Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||New York, NY
|| Accounting/Auditing, Banking, Finance/Economics, Financial Services, Retail/Wholesale, Sales, Executive Management, Research & Development
Americas Regional Head of Corporate and Investment Banking Operational Risk Oversight|
- Americas Regional responsibility to oversee and ensure senior management within Corporate and Investment Banking effectively identify, quantify and manage the Operational Risk profile of their businesses as well as ensuring they operate a robust 1st line control infrastructure and discharge their mandated OR responsibilities and adhere to the ORMF.
- Responsibility for ensuring that the Corporate and Investment Banking businesses understand their roles and responsibilities with regards to operational risk and that all material risks are identified, measured, reported and ultimately managed within the risk appetite of senior management.
- Engage in key change management initiatives to ensure that operational risk exposure is considered and addressed.
- Operate a regional team and supporting framework for monitoring, oversight and relationship with direct and indirect staff in the USA, Canada, Mexico and Brazil.
Impact on the Business
- The role is key to ensuring that the Corporate and Investment Banking businesses understand and manage operational risk. This will have a direct impact on profitability and the achievement of high level business objectives through improved decision making.
- The individual will play a key advisory role in all strategic business development/change projects to ensure the internal control environment is being built in accordance with HSBC control standards.
- The individual will be responsible for oversight and challenge of senior management within Corporate and Investment Banking discharging their responsibilities for managing operational risk within stated organisational appetite.
- The individual’s extensive experience in operational risk gained from within financial services will enable the role holder to provide credible and knowledgeable challenge to the Corporate and Investment Banking businesses, as they manage operational risk.
Customers / Stakeholders
- Corporate and Investment Banking Business Heads, CFOs and Business Managers, plus Senior Management in support areas.
Leadership & Teamwork
- Will lead a small regional team and will be expected to take a key leadership role in the Corporate and Investment Banking OpRisk management team.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Assist and provide subject matter expertise in the development and roll-out of operational risk best practice within Corporate and Investment Banking.
- Contribute to managing relationships between the team and businesses lines and respective functional support and control teams. Gain an in-depth understanding of those businesses and becoming accepted as a trusted advisor and contributing towards reducing their risk profile.
- Ensure operational risk incidents are collated, analysed and followed up within the ORMF. Ensure key control breakdowns are agreed, tracked and implemented and that any lessons learned are shared across all businesses.
- Direct and assist with ad hoc project work and special investigation work to provide further analysis into process / control failings as requested.
- Oversight of new product process ensuring sufficient level of review and post-implementation review requirements are met
- Contribute to the team’s involvement in Business Control Committees to ensure key control weaknesses are addressed and actioned effectively.
- Provide independent oversight of BRCM to ensure appropriate level of first line accountability and responsibility for control monitoring.
- Contribute as required to the broader programme to implement a more advanced ORMF.
- Would be expected to keep abreast of industry wide Operational Risk developments and continually assess the impact these might have on the firm. Additionally they would be expected to have a sound understanding of Operational Risk practice within other institutions and would be expected to use this information to improve HSBC’s target operating model.
- Identifying how to mitigate potential future or emerging Operational Risk exposure.
- Embedding the operational risk framework in the business at various stages of evolution and buy in.
- Interacting with people from all departments of varying levels of seniority.
- Maintaining adequate level of business expertise across a broad range of business lines.
- Meeting the needs of a broad range of stakeholders across countries and businesses.
- Corporate and Investment Banking serve the needs of corporate and institutional clients around the world providing product agnostic client coverage and delivering innovative and integrated advisory and financial solutions. The business is governed by Global Banking and Markets and Commercial Banking. Wholesale Operational Risk discharge oversight on the management and monitoring of operational risk by the businesses and their support functions.
Management of Risk
- Is aware of the operational risk impact associated with the role and acts in a manner that takes account of operational risk considerations.
Observation of Internal Controls
- Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- Understands, follows and demonstrates compliance with all relevant internal and external rules, regulations and procedures that apply to the conduct of the business in which the jobholder is involved, specifically Internal Controls and any Compliance policy including, inter alia, the Group Compliance policy.
HSBC is blazing the trail for African-American colleagues, check it out:
As you complete your online application, please use source code: Historically Black Colleges
and Universities. If you would like to notify HSBC's Diversity Recruiting team of your application, please e-mail
Qualifications & Requirements
- Extensive industry experience in a corporate / investment banking institution.
- Understanding of advanced operational risk frameworks in major financial services firms.
- Strong knowledge of the control environment surroundingcorporate / investment banking.
- Experience within an Operational Risk role within a corporate / investment banking is beneficial.
- Candidate would need to be a team player with excellent interpersonal, communication and influencing skills and confidence to deal with senior staff to sell the benefits of OR management and challenge their operating environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Bilingual: English and Spanish preferred.