Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||New York, NY
|| Accounting/Auditing, Agriculture, Forestry, & Fishing, Banking, Finance/Economics, Financial Services, Installation, Maintenance, and Repair, Law Enforcement, and Security, Executive Management, Research & Development
Business Risk and Controls Management|
GBM Client Operations is a global Shared Service Organization providing the Global Banking and Markets business with a single, globally consistent client onboarding, client due diligence, and data management service. More specifically, GBM Client Operations provides the following services to the business:
- Client document maintenance
- Credit analysis and application preparation
- Client Management
- Client Operations and Entity Maintenance
BRCM is an established core discipline within GBM Client Operations, firmly independent of the RTB functions. Reporting to the regional BRCM, the role of the BRCM Specialist is to assist with maintaining, managing and evolving the core BRCM disciplines, ensuring they remain current, aligned & relevant with the core activities & related risks via the performing of robust & challenging ongoing reviews, both routine and ad hoc. The BRCM function provides management with assurance that key controls are designed and are operating effectively and where not that they are clearly highlighted and remediated in a timely manner
- Support GBM Onboarding Americas BRCM in related operational risk / BCRM related committees and forums
- Participate in maintaining & evolving an effective & robust operational risk framework across GBM Onboarding, ensuring all key operational & business risks are identified & assessed then remediated & addressed as required
- Participate in the continued rollout of GBM Client Operations operating model, working with BRCM Americas Head
- Build and maintain strong working relationships within GBM Client Operations managers and key team members
- Support senior BRCM to ensure key Operational Risk & BCRM disciplines (i.e. creating / maintaining MS-IIs, tracking KRIs, documenting Op risk events, , maintaining RCAs, assist with management of Audit & Exam etc) are well understood and drilled down within each function
- Build and maintain strong working relationships outside of GBM Client Operations with relevant groups including ORIC, BCM, ISR, Audit & Compliance functions
- Assist in the maintenance and evolution of effective control frameworks within each RTB function, working closely with functional heads and BMs.
- Execute planned independent control tests, which enable functional management to best understand the quality, integrity and robustness of their key controls, with key issues and deficiencies highlighted, remedial actions proposed, and tracked to completion.
- Direct the undertaking of risk-based ad hoc focused internal reviews and investigations into areas of particular concern as necessary, to ensure they are timely assessed, understood and identified issues firmly addressed.
- Assist efforts to ensure GBM Client Operations Business Continuation disciplines & plans are properly maintained and tested - addressing the local needs of each function, as well as working with GBM Business Continuation Manager(s) to ensure their needs are adequately accommodated.
- Assist efforts to ensure GBM Onboarding America’s Business Information Risk and Information Security Risk disciplines are properly maintained and evolved over time so that they remain current & effective in controlling associated risks, with all staff subject to routine periodic awareness training / involvement, working in close conjunction with GBM BIRO & GBM ISR
Impact on the Business:
- Assist with monitoring internal control activities.
- Assist the development and operation of a robust risk-based internal control review program across Client Operations US functions
- Assist with reviews and special investigation work to provide further analysis into process / control failings as requested by management
Customers / Stakeholders
- Americas Client Operations Functional Heads, GBM ORIC, GM & GB BCRMs, Internal Audit, Compliance, ISR and BCM
Leadership & Teamwork
- While this role does not have management responsibility, the nature of the role will require a close working relationship with the GBM Onboarding , BCRM and ORIC teams.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Candidate should keep abreast of industry-wide Operational Risk developments and assess how these may impact the internal control environment of GBM Onboarding Americas.
- Maintain a sound understanding of Operational Risk / Internal Control practices.
- Support the development of GBM approaches to internal control best practice and regulatory compliance
- Proactively challenge practices / controls operated by functions, identifying gaps and making firm recommendations where the control environment can be improved
- Candidate supports the regional BRCM in their effort to ensure all teams/functions adhere to stated policies and procedures while not having any direct control over team managers or team members.
- Position does not have any direct reports and thus has considerable personal responsibility
- Position regularly requires the balancing of several responsibilities simultaneously
- As stated above, the position exists primarily as support for the senior BRCM in their effort to ensure policies and procedures are being followed. Candidate will be introduced to responsibilities and guided by senior BRCM. Candidate will be encouraged to challenge existing procedures and norms with the guidance of the senior BRCM but does not have the authority to mandate changes.
Management of Risk
- Ensure employees apply relevant risk controls in accordance with HSBC and regulatory standards / policies; addressing any issues.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC values.
Observation of Internal Controls
- Work with senior BRCM to maintain HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- Work with senior BRCM to implement the Group compliance policy in conjunction with Global Compliance, the Area Compliance Officer or Local Compliance Officer, to ensure adequate compliance resources and training, fostering a strong compliance culture and optimizing relations with regulators.
HSBC is blazing the trail for African-American colleagues, check it out:
As you complete your online application, please use source code: Historically Black Colleges
and Universities. If you would like to notify HSBC's Diversity Recruiting team of your application, please e-mail
Qualifications & Requirements
- 2-5 years of experience in financial services, ideally at a major / multinational organization in an internal control function such as Audit, Operational Risk or Compliance
- Optimally would have experience planning, participating or possibly having led audit / exam / internal review type assignments and production of resultant reports
- Sound knowledge of the operational risk & control environment and disciplines / best practices that are operated within a global banking and markets type business
- Strong analytical skills especially with regards to understanding business risk, processes, procedures and operational controls
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (written and verbal) and reasoning / influencing skills
- Excellent presentation skills, highly proficient in Excel, Word and Powerpoint
- Successful candidate would be practical, diplomatic, and professional, possessing a strong personality with a willingness to drive the BRCM discipline and the confidence to challenge established norms where necessary. Expect that the candidate will have excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and a willingness to take ownership of issues, work independently with confidence and deliver on tight deadlines. Optimally the successful candidate would be familiar with investment banking / markets type business, be highly adept at multi-tasking, and be able to confidently interface with individuals of varying levels of the firm.
- Job will require that the candidate quickly gain the trust & respect of those they will be closely interacting with, while remaining independent and able to challenge / pushing back in order to ensure an integral & robust operational discipline is maintained.